Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council have re-opened the key worker admission round linked the repurposed school hubs initiative, with childcare available via selected schools hubs (please see below for more information). Childcare options will be available for key workers only (please refer to the eligibility criteria below for more information).
The model which Blaenau Gwent are taking forward with regards to school re-purposing is as follows, and is based upon 4 re-purposed hubs located within the largest towns throughout the County Borough, along with 2 re-purposed hubs for pupils who require special school provision:
- Abertillery Learning Community – Tillery Street Campus will be hosting provision on behalf of the Abertillery cluster (inclusive of service provision for the following schools: all ALC Campuses – primary and secondary, Ysgol Gymraeg Bro Helyg, St Illtyd’s Primary School and Sofrydd Primary School).
- Brynmawr Foundation School and Blaen y Cwm Primary School will be hosting provision for the Brynmawr cluster (inclusive of service provision for the following schools: St Mary’s Church in Wales Primary School, St Mary’s Roman Catholic School, Coed y Garn Primary School and Ystruth Primary School).
- Ebbw Fawr Learning Community Secondary Campuswill be hosting provision on behalf the Ebbw Vale cluster (inclusive of service provision for the following schools: the EFLC Primary Campus, All Saints Roman Catholic Primary School, Beaufort Hill Primary School, Cwm Primary School, Glyncoed Primary School, Rhos y Fedwen Primary School and Willowtown Primary School).
- Tredegar Comprehensive School and Glanhowy Primary School will be hosting provision on behalf of the Tredegar/Sirhowy cluster (inclusive of service provision for the following schools: Bryn Bach Primary School, Deighton Primary School, Georgetown Primary School, and St Joseph’s Roman Catholic Primary School).
- Pen y Cwm Special School will host provision for their respective pupil populations in line with vulnerable pupil and key worker assessments.
The model has been developed in consideration of the latest guidance from Public Health Wales and Welsh Government, and inconsideration of pupil and staff safety.
Application Information and Guidance
Guidance – please read the information contained within the following link carefully before completing the form:
Eligible parents can apply for a place for childcare provision that will begin on Monday, 6th April 2020.
Eligibility is based on:
- Single parents who are employed as specific key worker
- Where both parents are employed as specific key workers – *Please note, we will not accept applications where only one parent in a two-parent household is a key worker.
- Please note, we will consider key workers whereby there are exceptional circumstances on a case by case basis i.e. if your role is critical to maintaining frontline services during the COVID-19 outbreak and you have no other childcare option.
Due to the limited capacity of schools, initially places will only be considered for the following key worker groups:
- Health and Social Care
- Education and Childcare
- Public Safety and National Security
- Key Public Service Workers
Once there is a clear understanding of demand and availability of places, other key worker groups will be considered.
Schools will not be delivering formal learning but open as repurposed hubs to assist with the care of the children of key workers.
Places should not be requested for children who, based on Public Health Wales advice, should be self-isolating or socially distancing.
Applications will be reviewed every 2 weeks to ensure that childcare provision is definitely required and that we have available places.
The second application round will open via the Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council Website from 2pm Tuesday 31st March, until 2pm on Thursday 2nd April 2020.
Applications will require a quick turnaround in order to secure places.
Parents will be contacted upon receipt of a completed, eligible application with further details of the provision available fromMonday 6th April 2020 for 2 weeks only.
To apply please visits the following link:Apply Now Online >> Download Application Form >>